Visionary / Creator / Designer / Observer / Maker / 3D Designer / DJ / Producer / Wordsmith / Product Designer / UX/UI Designer / Marketer / Digital Artist / Front-end Developer / Photographer / Retoucher / Growth Hacker / Writer / Interior Designer / Generalist / Specialist / Entrepreneur / Architect / Mechanic / Gardener / Speaker / Animator / Branding Specialist / Salesman / Aviation nut / Mechanical Designer / Fashion lover / Structural Designer / Traveler / Automotive enthusiast / Data scientist / Researcher / Strategist / Teacher / Dad
My work has been studied by neuroscientists in Germany, featured in design books from Singapore, and taught in Canadian universities, and in general, is used by millions of people on daily basis.
Things that interest me the most at the moment are: technologies of the future, internet (IoT), real estate (development, marketing, architecture/design), space exploration, 3D printing, automotive and aeronautics industries, education. Always looking to collaborate with like-minded people.
Founder, President, Head of Design & Marketing
April 2006 – Present
Threefifty is my design studio and where I spent most of my professional career. Over the years, I’ve put together an amazing team of professionals; together we’ve worked on hundreds of projects for worldwide firms of varying sizes (Century 21, RE/MAX, Prudential Real Estate, EPCOR, Gola USA, Bensimon USA, Oxford Properties Group, TransAsia Lawyers, Cohos Evamy, Lydon Lynch Architects, AECON, University of Alberta, Tiesto, etc.), and in the process created a few companies of our own.
Inception of this company is what helped to shape my entrepreneurial spirit, along with all of the exciting things that come with it!
Design, Experience & Growth Lead + Front-end Development, Community, Consumer Products
July 2015 – Present | San Francisco, California
I’ve been asked to grow the most used online 3D design and 3D printing app, Tinkercad (tinkercad.com). Ultimately, the app aims to redefine how future generations ‘think’, giving them a creator’s/designer’s view of the world. I’ve applied my generalist approach to growing and bettering the app, and most importantly its community, making it more approachable to consumers, more user-friendly, and more engaging.
• Reinvented the brand and redesigned the website. This resulted in 20% increase in user engagement (85%), based on a series of A/B and multivariate experiments which were also setup and carried out by me.
• User base went up from low 300k to over 9 million (in two years).
• Increased website’s conversion from 31% to over 64.61% in a matter of weeks.
• Established strategies and workflows for growth. Campaigns tied to these strategies were responsible for hundreds of thousands of new users.
• Proposed new app functionality and improved existing app tools to better the user experience.
• Re-designed the entire COPPA (under 13) registration/management workflow. Introduction of this workflow was one of the major driving growth factors as it affected all the schools.
• Advised on the selection of back and front-end frameworks. Single-handedly Bootstrapped tinkercad.com and worked with engineers to ensure proper integration into the system.
• Designed and future-proofed community functionality to increase engagement and click-through rates.
• Assisted with creation of countless promo resources (online/print/physical).
• All design decisions made were based on data, which I interpreted and acted upon, too.
Senior Product Designer, Mobile Analytics
September 2016 – December 2016 | San Francisco, California
I love design. I love design that’s backed by data even more. I find myself constantly interacting with various analytics products, and over the years I’ve come to some firm beliefs and expectations, which many of the analytics products lack. This was a fantastic opportunity for me to put some of my thinking to use in a real life situation.
I was asked by team Xamarin to re-imagine how users interact with mobile analytics, and to help with integration into the existing design framework for Microsoft Visual Studio's (Mobile Center) 30M+ user base.
Senior Experience Designer & Growth Hacker, Consumer Portfolio
March 2013 – July 2015 | San Francisco, California
Normally you wouldn’t associate Autodesk Inc. with term “consumer”, which is the reason why the ACG (Autodesk Consumer Group) initiative heavily focused on bridging the gap between prosumers and consumers. Working alongside some of the brightest minds at [the infamous] Pier 9, I’ve been helping Autodesk spearhead the 3D printing & MAKER movement. And even though I was brought on board for a specific role (on a specific project), I was able to contribute to other projects, while interacting with several departments at any given moment.
• Developed more consumer-oriented voice and brand.
• Re-designed and recoded most of the 123D community.
• Evangelized and assisted in a major multi-property move to Drupal.
• Made web properties more available/accessible by building and optimizing for mobile.
• Coded hundreds of templates and designed/future-proofed varying complexity workflows.
• Collected and utilized data to improve marketing of products, services and partner pages.
• Was instrumental in creation and management of multiple Autodesk communities.
• Was appointed as the go-to designer for partners like: MakerBot, Dremel, Cricut, etc.
• Took initiative to design/create showcase projects to drive traffic and build recognition.
• Suggested ways to increase sales and improve partner relations; came up with sales collateral.
• Re-imagined how ideas are presented internally; this inspired more people and resulted in better adoption of uncommon thinking...
• Some of the projects I was involved in included: 123D Design, 123D Catch, Project Ignite, Tinkercad, Spark, Ember 3D printer, Homestyler, Seek, 123D Circuits, 123D Make, Meshmixer, 123D Sculpt +, Tinkerplay.
Product Design Lead
August 2013 – November 2013 | Menlo Park, California
Joined the team as the first UX/UI/Visual/Product designer, where I’ve outlined the foundation for design and experience of several key products, along with the overall brand and voice. Some of the thinking and design still live on to this day.
Senior Product Designer
May 2013 – August 2013 | San Francisco, California
I was brought in as a lead concept designer on a 'tight deadline' project which involved usability and visual improvements of moviefone.com - AOL's flagship movie resource website. Moviefone.com is one of the oldest online movie brands in America.
May 2005 - August 2006 | Edmonton, Alberta
RPM was my first experience working with a ‘start-up’. Their product offerings were focused on real estate industry, and enabled Realtors (and entire Realties) to set up “online offices”, which could in turn be used to market real estate to interested parties. Due to the infancy of the company, I had to “wear many hats”, while keeping up with the fast-paced work environment. This is also where my love for real estate was born.
TV News/Sports Editor
October 2003 - February 2004 | Edmonton, Alberta
After being noticed for my proficiency and passion towards video (filming, editing, etc.) during my college years, I was presented with a unique opportunity to work for A-Channel – the top TV station in the city. Once there, I’ve collaborated with directors, producers, anchors, reporters and cameramen, to create many captivating top news and sports stories (6 o’clock news + late night sports overview).
The quality and style of my editing quickly caught on around the station, and eventually I was appointed as a lead editor to concept a new TV segment for newscasts. The first installment was a great success for the station, and has resulted in production of subsequent episodes.
August 2003 - November 2004 | Edmonton, Alberta
Media-Masters Creative Communications Inc. was my first experience working in a digital shop environment, straight out of school, and an inspiration for the future to start my own studio. The company was small enough for me to be able to freely move between roles on daily basis: from designer, to marketer, to account manager, and so on...
This position not only grew me as a designer, it also taught me many important lessons on client relations and on how to be a good manager.
Northern Alberta Institute of Technology
2003 - 2004 – graduated with honors (and a diploma).
- Microsoft Office apps
- After Effects
- 123D apps
- FL Studio
- Google Analytics
- Graphic Design
- Creative/Art Direction
- Information Architecture
- Front-end Development
- Marketing (Traditional, Online, Social, Email, Niche/Geo, Content, Mobile, Neuro, Affiliate, B2B, B2C, Direct)
- Customer Service
- Technical Translation
- 3D Design/Fabrication
- General design and creation of things
- Scale models
- RC stuff
- Music (production/DJ'ing)
- Biking (street/downhill)
- Nature & Outdoors
- Plant collecting
- PC gaming
- 3D printing/prototyping
- Laser cutting